Details of the grants available to make your home more energy efficient.
What is the Home Energy Saving (HES) scheme?
The Home Energy Saving (HES) scheme provides assistance to homeowners
who are interested in improving the energy efficiency of their home in order to
reduce energy use and costs as well as greenhouse gas emissions.
The scheme is administered by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland.
Assistance will be provided by way of fixed grants towards the costs of implementing
The types of measures currently eligible under this scheme are roof insulation,
wall insulation and heating system upgrades. There is also a grant for households
who choose to get a Building Energy Rating (BER) assessment
before and after the works are completed.
Who Can Avail of the Scheme?
It is a National scheme and therefore all homeowners of dwellings built
before 2006* may apply. Landlords and owners of multiple properties may also apply,
however they must submit a separate application form for each property.
If you are a landlord or a management company considering an entire building upgrade,
please contact SEAI before applying online for the grant. [*Homes built from 2006
onwards should have been constructed to the 2003 Building Regulations and so should not
require significant insulation or heating system upgrades]
What Measures are Eligible?
Grants will be provided to homeowners who invest in energy efficiency improvements in the following
• Roof Insulation
• Wall Insulation – this includes either cavity wall, internal dry lining or external insulation
• Installation of a High Efficiency (> 90%) Gas or Oil fired Boilerswith Heating Controls Upgrade*
• Heating Controls Upgrade*
• Building Energy Rating (BER) – you can get a grant for a BER if one is done
before and after the works are completed
[*The minimum heating controls upgrade which will qualify for a grant is:
• Two zones (space and water) with seven day programmer (time and temperature)
control and boiler interlock, PLUS
• Time and temperature control of electric immersion heater PLUS
• Either one more zone control or three Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV’s).]
What Level of Funding is Available?
The levels of grant support available for each technology are as follows:
|Wall||Cavity wall insulation||€400|
|Internal Wall Dry-Lining||€2,500|
|External wall insulation||€4,000|
|Heating Controls Upgrade||High Efficiency Gas or Oil fired Boiler with Heating Controls||€700|
|Heating Controls Upgrade||€500|
|BER Assessment||A Before works and an After works BER assessment||€200|
• Please note the minimum grant amount for the first application must be €500.
Where a BER grant is applied for, the €200 BER Grant cannot count towards the
• These amounts may be subject to change and the current grant levels will be those published on our website at www.SEAI.ie/hes at the time of receipt of application.
How to Apply
For a speedy application you can apply online at www.seai.ie/hes
Applicants must first read the ‘Home Energy Saving scheme Application Guide’
for an overview of the scheme and to aid them thereafter in filling out the
Scheme Application Form. Both the Guide and Form are available to download
from our website at www.seai.ie/hes or upon request by calling 1850 927000.