If you think that it’s practically easy to do website design, then you’re probably wrong. The process actually requires more than perfect combination of colors, use of animation and Flash, as well as perfect structures of every webpage.
What Should You Keep in Mind in Website Design?
If you have an online business, or if you are trying to promote your services and products through the World Wide Web, then you must know that your website will be your mode of connection to your Internet users. Hence, the website design being implemented will determine if you are going to be successful or not.
To help you out, you can remember these website design considerations:
1. Know the purpose of your website. Most definitely, you cannot build a website just for the sake of having one. Otherwise, you are not making the most out of your investment. You need to know the reason behind its creation so, you can also determine what kind of website design you are going to utilize. For example, if you are simply providing information to your target market, then you may want to make sure that articles are easy to scan. If you are selling products or offering services, meanwhile, you should have your own Products and Services page, with accompanying photos and descriptions that are both convenient to look at.
2. Make sure that all links are clickable. Dead links, or those that lead users and search engine spiders to removed or non-accessible pages, will definitely not become too pleasing to both Internet users and search engines. Basically, your target customers would not like to feel deceived or waste their time on dead links. Your website will also be getting supplemental pages, which can hinder your chances of getting excellent page ranks. Hence, when you are doing web design, check the links first before uploading the pages. They should lead you to the page with the right contents.
3. Strike balance among the different elements in your website. Though usability and accessibility will be two of your foremost consideration in creating a website, you should also make sure that your pages appear professional. Internet users still go for websites where contents are properly laid out, there are a number of photos or videos that accompany them, and that the right colors are chosen.
4. Website should be easy to navigate. There are only few people who implement the static Home button technique. This is when Home appears in every webpage of your site. Normally, when you have too many pages, users can get lost while browsing. The Home button can help them start from scratch.
5. Sitemaps and proper headline tags do count. One of the goals in website design is to make all pages of your website easy to index. Hence, you need to add a sitemap, so it becomes convenient for search engine spiders to index your various webpages. Headline tags will also make you convenient to search in Google, Yahoo, and MSN.